Ashley
"Let a man so consider us, as servants of Christ and stewards of the mysteries of God. Moreover it is required in stewards that one be found faithful. But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged by you or by a human court. In fact, I do not even judge myself. For I know of nothing against myself, yet I am not justified by this; but He who judges me is the Lord. Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord comes, who will both bring to light the hidden things of darkness and reveal the counsels of the hearts. Then each one's praise will come from God."
1 Corinthians 4:1-5

What am I doing with my life each day? When I wake up, what are my goals? This passage is a reminder of who we
really are as believers: Servants and Stewards. We are to obey Jesus, showing our love for Him by obeying His commandments (John 14:15). We are to choose His way above our own. What does this look like?

This is Servanthood: Spending time with Jesus when we think we don't have the time. Loving someone who we feel doesn't deserve our love. Serving those who look down on us. And, as Paul describes in chapter 3 verse 18, becoming foolish in the eyes of the world, as we seek to become wise in the eyes of God. It is surrendering our flesh, and receiving power through the Holy Spirit to become Christlike.

This is Stewardship: Managing the Word of God, the message of God, in a way that brings glory to His name. Reminding people that Jesus is coming soon. Building each other up with the promises of His Word. Living each day in the Truth and Reality of God's Word.

In these things we are to be found faithful. It is REQUIRED of us, as it says in verse 2. So each day, as I wake up and think about all that must be done, the vital thing, the thing that is REQUIRED of me today, is to be a faithful servant and steward. I am to do everything today with the motive of loving Jesus and loving others. Raising my children, serving my family, going to the store, going to work...in each moment and circumstance I am required to be a servant and a steward. As Christians we have the high calling of being imitators of Christ on this earth. Ultimately, as the remaining verses explain, it will be God who judges us. Not our boss, husband, wife, friend, pastor or neighbor. We need to examine our lives and see if we are filling our days with tasks, or if we are living each day as a servant and a steward. I went to work, cooked dinner, cleaned the house, paid the bills...but did I serve Jesus at all today? Did I do these things for the glory of His name, or just to get them done? Was I found faithful in what is REQUIRED of me today? If not, then I wasted my day.

0 Responses

Post a Comment